ayurvedic treatment for PCOD
PCOD or Polycystic Ovarian Disease is a common hormonal disorder that affects women of reproductive age. It leads to infertility and thyroid issues in women.
Androgen is a male hormone, which is present in a small amount in women. In this condition, however, the ovaries produce an abnormally high amount of androgen. This leads to the formation of small cysts in the ovaries. Though the exact cause of PCOD is unclear, it is noted that many women with PCOD have insulin resistance. Obesity can also worsen PCOD symptoms.
A sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy food habits are also some of the causes of PCOD.
The following are some of the most common symptoms of PCOD:
- Irregular menstrual periods.
- Skin pigmentation, especially of the neck.
- Excessive hair growth on the face.
- Thinning of scalp hair.
- Excessive weight gain, especially around the belly.
ayurvedic treatment for PCOD
PCOD can be managed with early diagnosis and proper long-term treatment including lifestyle modification.
Ayurveda recognizes PCOD as Kapha and vathadosha. It approaches PCOD at a systemic level and looks at treating hormonal imbalance, which can help normalize the menstrual cycles.
Ayurmithra offers some of the best ayurvedic treatment for PCOD like Abhyangam, Podikizhi, Matravasti, Kashayavasti, Uttarabasti, nasyam and pizhichil.
- In abhyangam, warm ayurvedic oils are used to massage the body to manage the vata and pitta doshas. This helps to restore the body’s hormonal balance.
- A regular weekly schedule of abhyangam is prescribed and is to be followed diligently to get full benefits of it.
- A special diet is also prescribed, which needs to be followed during this process.
- Podikizhi(also known as choornakizhi) is one of the most common ayurvedic therapies, which involves full body massage. In this process, a mixture of several herbs bound in a cotton cloth is used to massage the affected areas. It aids in removing body toxins, clearance of blocked channels, and improving blood circulation.
- We have well-trained staff, male and female, have many years of expertise in the field of kizhi treatment.
- Matravasti or basti is a form or therapeutic enema. It is a treatment process done to normalize issues in the digestive system. Matravasti helps in restoring the balance of vatadoshas. It helps to cleanse and detoxify the body.
- Kashayavasti involves the introduction of herbal decoction through the rectum.
- It helps with body detoxification, rheumatism, and strengthening of the gluteal region.
- In uttaravasti, liquefied herbal medicines are administered through the vaginal or urethral route.
- The target is to treat issues related to urinary and genital systems. It helps to keep the internal organs clean and healthy and improves immunity.
- Nasyam treatment involves the introduction of medicated herbal oils through the nose. It is part of the Panchakarma process.
- Nasya treatment acts on the pituitary gland and hence it has great benefit for women having PCOD.
- Pizhichil is a treatment where warm herbal oils are poured over the body and soft massaging is done.
- Therapeutic massage helps in the treatment of rheumatic and neurological issues and chronic fatigue syndrome. It improves blood circulation and helps to balance vata imbalances.
On the whole, in the case of PCOD, vasti procedures provide several benefits including the normalization of menstrual cycles, prevention of painful menses, proper ovulation, and decreased level of excess androgen.
Ayurmithra offers some of the best ayurvedic treatment for PCOD in Chennai. The treatment course is designed by our doctors after doing all basic health checks and in consultation with the patient and their family members. We aim to restore and balance the natural health of a person with the least interventions possible.